Safeguard Water-Jel® Military Burn Dressing 4" X 4"
A small, square-shaped dressing designed to fit the palm of the hand (a commonly burned area) or the back of the hand, near the knuckles. Water-Jel® Military burn dressings have a more durable and more compact packaging than the consumer version, and the label can be read with night vision goggles.
Water-Jel® is a gel-soaked, sterile dressing that stops burn progression, cools the skin, eases pain, and protects against airborne contamination.
This Water-Jel® product contains a new and improved formula in response to feedback from various emergency departments. The new gel used is clear (instead of opaque) which allows emergency department staff to see what is happening to the burn site without removing the gel. This product is no longer scented with tea tree oil, this is for ease in the emergency room as well as being less detectable in military applications. The change in formula has not affected the consistency of the gel, it won’t stick to the surface of a burn injury, which means it does not have to be aggressively removed.
Hyaluronic Acid has also been added to the revised recipe, which modulates the inflammatory response and facilitates wound closure, and MICRO Kill Antibacterial has been included to protect the wound from infection.
When a burn occurs, seconds count! Burn injuries should be cooled immediately, otherwise the heat will continue to destroy the surrounding and underlying tissue, and may progress a partial thickness (second degree) burn into a full thickness (third degree) burn injury. This, in turn, will present serious consequences for the patient and considerable extra cost for the receiving hospital/burn unit.
CRITICAL STEPS TO TREAT A BURN
1. Stop the burning process immediately - seconds count!
2. Cool the burn - don’t overcool the victim.
3. Provide pain relief.
4. Cover and protect the burn area against contamination.
COOLING BURNS THE RIGHT WAY
Water-Jel® Burn Dressings are a gelatinized water mix designed to perform the four critical steps for burn management in one application. Because of their gelatinous nature, they seal the burn from further contamination, they cool the burn site and relieve pain by heat transfer into themselves, and the fluids on the burn site cannot soak into the dressing nor can they evaporate through them. And finally, as the burn site cools down, the dressing warms up, leaving the site covered by a warm dressing, helping to prevent hypothermia.
Water-Jel® Burn Dressings will absorb temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees F—extremely important when you consider that human bone carbonizes at 1400 degrees F and other dressings could melt into the site. With Water-Jel®, there is plenty of extra gel to use on any hyperemic or stasis sites surrounding the main burn, and the gel can be left on for more than four hours.
- Provides controlled cooling by convection, not evaporation
- Acts as a heat exchanger
- Absorbs heat throughout the gel contact area
- Conforms to the burn surface, providing total cooling contact
- Does not affect core body temperature or contribute to hypothermia
BENEFITS OF WATER-JEL®
- Stops the burning process
- Portable—on the scene—when seconds count!
- Cools the burn, dissipates heat
- Provides pain relief
- Easy to use
- Evaporates slowly
- Use on any burn
- Non-adherent, easy to remove
- Covers and protects against contamination
- Helps prevent infection
- Won’t irritate the eyes, nose, or mouth
- Clear formula allows professionals to see burn site without removing gel
- Odor free for more diverse application
- Contains Hyaluronic Acid to aid in the helming of the burn injury
- Contains MICRO Kill Antibacterial to protect the wound from infection
- Dimensions: 5.75" W x 6" H x .25" D (packaged)
- Dimensions: 4" W x 4" H (dressing)
- Weight: 1.6 oz